Heart disease, including coronary disease, hypertension, and stroke, is currently the No. 1 cause of death in the United States. Coronary heart disease accounts for one of every 7 deaths of all U.S. deaths. That’s more than 350,000 a year.
Estimates put the average annual cost for heart disease in the United States at about $2 billion.
Increasing evidence suggests that CBD may help with cardiovascular conditions like the heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Heart disease is caused by blood vessels hardening and plaque buildup over time which reduces cardiovascular function.
Plaque can travel to smaller blood vessels where it causes a blockage.
Studies have shown that CBD helps in relaxing your blood vessels so they widen and help improve blood flow to all the major organs. This, in turn, reduces the damage that is done to arterial walls from having high blood pressure.
CBD interacts with the CB2 receptors concentrated in and around the heart. These receptors and cannabinoids produced naturally by our own bodies influence our immune inflammatory response.
CBD has also shown to reduce the number of cells that die in the heart during inflammation. (1)
Along with CBD, lifestyle changes can help prevent heart disease. Maintaining a healthy diet, including eating less meat and more unprocessed whole foods help keep your heart healthy.
With exercising, these lifestyle changes will reduce your chances of having a stroke or heart attack.
Want to learn more about CBD? Visit the link in our profile. Leave a comment below if you have any thoughts or questions.
- CBD as an anti-arrhythmic, the role of the CB1 receptors
- Is the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for CBD?
- Acute administration of CBD in vivo suppresses ischaemia-induced cardiac arrhythmias and reduces infarct size when given at reperfusion
- CBD attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy
- The Effect of CBD on Ischemia/Reperfusion-Induced Ventricular Arrhythmias
- CBD protects against myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury
- Endocannabinoids acting at cannabinoid-1 receptors regulate cardiovascular function in hypertension
- Oleamide: A fatty acid amide signaling molecule in the cardiovascular system?
- Cannabidiol Protects against Doxorubicin-Induced Cardiomyopathy by Modulating Mitochondrial Function and Biogenesis